At the Market, Saturday, June 14th
Welcome one and all to our market, now in Week Four of our 2014 season! If you’re visiting the Williams College campus to enjoy reunion festivities, please stop by to partake of the wonderful offerings to be found right here in Williamstown. Our Heritage Artisans will offer special demonstrations (hands-on for children and adults) of traditional wool combing and carding. See how these ancient tools are used in modern fiber art, and learn the history and techniques involved. Watch how fiber is loaded, sorted and spun into plies for knitting, weaving or felting.
At our June 14th market, you’ll also find:
• Peace Valley Farm – Don’t wait too long if you’d like one of Bill Stinson’s gorgeous heads of Boston lettuce as well as Red Oak and Green Oak lettuces. Also, Swiss chard this week. Last week they sold out by noon.
• The Quimbys at Blair Farm – bedding flowering plants and veggie starters, eggs, maple syrup, leaf lettuce, spinach, radishes, and potted tomato plants – each complete with a trellis!
• Sweet Brook Farm – everything maple, including syrup, nuts, and candy, plus alpaca yarn
• Wright’s Organic Produce – Look for Nick’s delicious dried fruits, fresh-picked rhubarb, prize iris rhizomes, herb plants and grafted fruit trees (see above article)
• East Mountain Farm – Kim Wells brings local grass-fed beef, pork & free-range poultry – sausages, ground beef, deli ham, bacon, and more. Kim’s smoked pork chops are out of this world!
LOCAL PREPARED FOODS
• Hobson’s Choice Restaurant – A regular vendor for the 2014 season, Hobson’s owner Dan Campbell will grill to order delectable burgers using local grass-fed beef, as well as marinated Portobello mushrooms. Also summer treat of lobster salad. All served on tasty, lightly grilled oversized buns with lettuce and tomato if you wish
• Hoosick Hickory – Hickory syrup and other hickory products – elixir, salts, smoking chips and tea bags – using hickory wood harvested in nearby Hoosick Falls, NY. Also, Fran and his family prepare delicious pork sliders and an entire take-out barbecue meal in a jar — with layers of baked beans, pulled pork, and coleslaw
• BabyCakes and Breads – Newly named to add equal billing for their wonderful bread offerings, BabyCakes and Breads (a/k/a Helene and Judy) bring small cakes, scones, carrot cake breakfast-in-a-cup, whoopie pies, tarts, crumb cake, challah, focaccia, ciabatta, flatbreads and hearty loaves (the cheddar bread lightly toasted is divine!)
• Brier Road Guitars – Nick brings his exquisite, hand-crafted acoustic guitars, mandolins and ukuleles. He’ll gladly show passersby of all ages the steps involved in transforming a block of lumber into a fine instrument. You can also strum a few tunes! Note: this is Nick’s last market until July 5th.
• Crow Hill Farm – Merry’s ever popular note cards, art kits for kids, tiny gnome dolls and fairies, carved birds, and knitted fingerless gloves
• Dancing Bare Soap – Maud is adding extra appearances this season to reflect the positive reception to her organic vegan soaps, containing select local and seasonal herbs and florals
• Heritage Artisans – From nearby Stephentown, NY, a guild of talented artisans specializing in traditional crafts – including weaving, spinning, knitting and fine basketry. This week’s demonstration will focus on combing and carding wool (see above)
• Memphremagog Studios – Emily’s original fine jewelry, etched glass stemware, and gift designs
• Nora Phykitt – Using natural fibers, Nora brings hand knitted/crocheted clothing and accessories, including hats, scarves, sweaters, dresses, mitts, and felted bags
• Peterman’s Bowls and Boards – using fine, locally sourced woods (with burls) such as cherry, spalted maple and black walnut, Spencer brings his unique selection of hand-turned bowls, serving trays and boards, salad tossers, wine bottle stoppers, and napkin rings. A Peterman’s bowl has just been featured in Elle Décor magazine – congrats!
• Berkshire Mountain Pottery – Anne’s functional handmade stoneware, especially bowls and mugs of all sizes, available exclusively at this market