At the Market, Saturday June 15th 9am – 1pm
Back in February, fire destroyed the entire barn and sugar house at Williamstown’s Sweet Brook Farm. Yet here’s Sarah at the market last Saturday – all smiles, selling her family’s signature maple syrups and maple cream. Sweet Brook hasn’t missed a beat (or a market) due to a combination of ingenuity, generosity, and hard work. Meet Sarah and many other local vendors this weekend and celebrate the sweet arrival of strawberries! Also local rhubarb, perfect for pie-making. Talented newcomer Abby Lappen will entertain all morning with guitar and vocals. Here’s a list of vendors and their offerings this week:
- Bigfoot Farm – Brian will be selling his famous Bigfoot Salad Mix, spinach, radishes (so tasty!), arugula, bok choy, tatsoi, hakurei turnips, parsley, cilantro, and garlic scapes
- Blair Farm – The Quimbys will bring their large brown eggs as well as an assortment of bedding and hanging plants (including wonderful tomatoes and flowers)
- East Mountain Farm – Kim is prepared for Father’s Day with assorted steaks: delmonicos, strip, and t-bones. Also hot dogs, chorizo, andouille, chickens (whole and parts), deli ham, sausages, bratwurst, ribs, chops, bacon, ground pork/beef, and pork tenderloins. (Note: East Mountain Farm accepts SNAP payments). Try a sample of Kim’s meats at his booth and in Robin’s sandwiches!
- Green River Farms – New to the market this year, Green River Farms in South Williamstown brings produce from their hydroponic greenhouse (and later, orchard) – this week, herbs, beets, mustard greens, lettuce, mizuna, fennel, kale, swiss chard, and power greens!
- Hay Berry Farm – Hay Berry has freshly picked asparagus and rhubarb and even some Shiitake mushrooms, also summer raw honey, lavender buds & dried flower arrangements
- Mighty Food Farm –Lisa brings lots of salad mix, spinach, radishes, potted sunflowers, kale, chard, lettuces and mouth-watering strawberries! (If your heart is set on strawberries, we suggest arriving on the early side)
- Peace Valley Farm – Bill and Susie will be here with six kinds of tasty lettuces and rhubarb
- Sweet Brook Farm – local maple syrup in bottles ranging from tiny to enormous (and in varieties perfect for tasting, cooking…and over pancakes!) and delectable maple cream. Don’t miss the samples!
LOCALLY PREPARED FOODS
Chris’s Kitchen and Serendipity Quilt Designs – Chris’s jams, jellies, and preserves prepared are famous locally and regionally. Find classics such as strawberry and raspberry, but also more unusual choices including carrot cake and jalapeno – available for free tastings. Also batik quilts and table runners
Cindy’s Cookin’ Greek– Friday update: Cindy is sorry to be missing everyone this weekend. She hopes to return soon! Cindy’s offerings include salad dressings, pastitsio, spanakopita, moussaka, and baklava. If you’re set on Cindy’s dishes for a tasty lunch or dinner, it’s best to arrive well before closing time!
Earth Sky Time will be bringing an incredible assortment of wood fired breads along with their famous pesto, hoomoos, and VT Goldburgers. Come check out one of our new additions to the market this year!
- Little Sticks Popsicles Also new this year and already famous…this week’s flavors include non-dairy options of strawberry-hibiscus, pineapple-mango, and coconut rice pudding, and dairy options of blackberry-lavender, strawberry cheesecake, and fudge – yum!
- R&G Cheese Makers– Sean offers a full line of hand crafted artisan cheese, including chevres (garlic/herb, honey, and maple/chipotle, among others), ripened goat camemberts – including blackbert and trufflebert, and selected mozzarellas and hard cheeses made from both cow and goat’s milk
- Robin’s – chef and baker Robin Lenz serves popular melty-but-crisp breakfast and lunch sandwiches. Breakfasts include local eggs on grilled English muffins with cheeses, sausage, and bacon from our market vendors. Also look for assorted home-baked sweet treats!
- Store at 5 Corners – The Store at 5 Corners of South Williamstown is joining the market this year to sell lunch food and pastries – including tasty croissants, cookies, and donuts, plus refreshing drinks
- Tunnel City Coffee – Tunnel City will be offering samples of their pour-offer coffee and several varieties of their locally roasted beans by the pound
- Two Bear Bakery -Caleb is inspired by the local bounty, which will come across in his delicious pastries and baked goods! This week he’ll bring strawberry basil hand pies, lavender blackberry scones, and chocolate sesame cookies
Berkshire Mountain Pottery – Anne will be here with her mugs, cups, bowls, and plates, which are both beautiful and functional. They’ll look great on your countertop, but are sturdy enough for daily use!
Crow Hill Farm– Merry will offer an array of lovingly prepared arts and craft kits (such as owl treasure keeper, design your own sailboat, create your own notecards), greeting cards, miniatures (gnomes, elves, fairies), hand knit items from alpaca and cotton and adorable birthday fairies
Heritage Artisans – These three artisans are skilled in weaving, spinning, knitting, and fine basketry – what can they not do? They use local and natural materials, including their own wool and alpaca fibers. They’ll have a new demonstration each week at the market. If you’ve run into a snag in a knitting project, you can bring it along and they’ll help with repair!
Memphremagog Studios– From nearby southern Vermont, Emily brings unique silver earrings, bracelets, and necklaces, etched stemware glasses, and silk scarves
Peterman’s Boards & Bowls – locally sourced wooden bowls, trays, napkin rings, salad tossers, bottle stoppers, cutting boards (including gorgeous “seconds”), featured in design magazines nationally!
- Yarnwork – Nora Phykitt continues creating lovely and comfortable knitted, crocheted and felted clothing and accessories…her cottons are especially soft!
LOCAL NONPROFIT BOOTH
We’re thrilled to welcome the Williamstown Garden Club this week, with membership information and a sunflower planting project for kids.
For more info about Abby Lappen, who’ll play from 9am to 1pm, see www.reverbnation.com/abbylappen